Search This Blog

12 November 2018

A chance encounter with someone who didn't know...

I watched during a chance encounter with an old friend who is unaware of her dementia. Her old friend handled the encounter with grace but, i was obviously confused and concerned for her. The old friend shot quick glances at me seemingly for some sort of unspoken explanation. I wondered, what should I do? Smile and continue to prompt/fill in words ideas for her or somehow explain to the old friend everything is fine (which is likely all anyone wants to hear) when it truly is not?

In the end all I could muster while holding back the urge to cry was, smile and continue to prompt/fill in words ideas for her.

I am learning that with dementia, someone else's dignity is more valuable than the truth.

"A white lie is always pardonable. But he who tells the truth without compulsion merits no leniency." ~Karl Kraus
Created: 2018.11.12

No comments:

Post a Comment